time to do some "data logging". Basically, I've
free program (WinALDL) to my laptop that
captures all kinds of data from the ECM as I'm driving
along. John provides the interface cable with one end
connecting to the ECM and the other your laptop. I read
John's directions again which say "If you are
gathering diagnostic data for me, the only one I need to
see is the sensor data button."
ECM on floor at left & hooked to laptop
Program collects 23 different data points as you
So off I go
on a 40 minute drive that's about 30% around town and
70% on the highway. The laptop is collecting all the
data and the car is running great. I get home, check the
instructions, click "SAVE" and head back inside. Just
like the directions say, there's a small log file now
stored on my laptop with all the data. Before I send it
off to him, I'm reading a little further on and it says
towards the end: "The only other useful info that I
need to see when diagnosing your system is the BLM
tables." Arggghhh Engineers!! So what he really
needs to say is that there are TWO pieces of data that
he needs. Too late now to head out again.
January 31, 2007
Back in the car, another 40
minute drive, save both pieces of data and email it off
to him. I looked at the data in Excel and it seemed
strange to me that it didn't change much over the drive,
but what do I know?
I get an email back from John
saying something is wrong, the data doesn't change like
it should. After a couple of email exchanges he asks if
the WinALDL software settings show the ECM model# as
16144288? I tell him no, because his directions say:
"If you are using WINALDL for one of my kits, 99% of the
time you'll want to select model# 1227747." Lucky
me....I'm in the 1% with a different model# for my ECM.
Back in the car for another
drive and data logging. This data proved good and he's
sent me a new chip file to flash. After the data logging
experience, I hope his flashing directions are accurate!
I've emailed him to confirm and as soon as I hear back
I'll be flashing the update to the chip.
So at this point I have about
150 miles on the car that's about 30% around town and
70% highway. I've gone through, at best, 1/2 a tank of
gas, which means I'm getting at least 25 mpg compared to
the 15 mpg that I used to get. The car seems quicker
with no flat spots around 3000 RPM. Basically, it just
keeps pulling through the gears. Drivability is great
but I do have to re-learn how to start and drive it.
KEEP THE FOOT OFF the gas pedal when turning the key to
start the car. And......there's no need to blip the
throttle anymore before taking off from a dead
stop.....except it sounds way cool to do so.
No drive today, it's in the
single digits so I think I'll stay inside. John emailed
me a new program to flash to the ECM chip. Basically, my
data log showed him that the car was a little on the
rich side at idle and lean on the high end at 3000 RPM
and up. He adjusted the VE tables to get the calibration
smoother. The O2 sensor was correcting the mixture but
it runs smoother when the O2 sensor doesn't correct
anything. Now this is way cool....no need to fiddle with
mixture settings on the carbs.....no more hoping you've
adjusted them the same....no more....messing it up with
your own incompetence.!
So I pulled the chip from the
ECM and flashed the chip to the new profile. The
directions and pictures are at the "Flashing a Chip"
link. Maybe I'll take it for a ride tomorrow and see if
I notice any difference.