in the basement for the next phase...........
The blue arrow
points to the felt seal that gets installed felt
side out. The red arrow points to the axle piece
that goes with
Jack's Stub Axles.
are the four bolts that need to be removed to
replace the rotor.
The difficulty with
removing them is that there's nothing to grab on
to to hold the hub in place while trying to break
the bolts free. My solution was to grab a
woodworking vice and clamp it on to the studs.
Then I flipped it
over and clamped the clamps to the work bench.
Once again I was fortunate in that none of the
bolts were frozen.
Here's the hub without the rotor.
The new rotor in
place with fresh split washers. I considered going
with the drilled and slotted rotors but after
talking to Richard Good and Ted Schumacher I
decided against them. It's total overkill for
street use and they are prone to squeals.
I soaked the
bearings in gas and brushed them good and clean.
Then I put them in a magnetic dish...........no
need to worry about them falling out of the
dish...... and hit them with a good spray of brake
Make sure you use
bearing grease for Disc Brakes! They make
different stuff for drum brakes.
There's a "certain"
technique to packing bearings...........nothing
fancy, actually pretty basic and I found this
great "redneck" YouTube video posted by a
and daughter of how to do it.............Some
humor, great dialog and he does it the right
way...... except the hands could be cleaner to
Basically, put a
big gob of grease in your CLEAN palm...........
take the bearing and press or tap the wide side of
the bearing down in to the grease until it pops
out the top side. Keep doing this all the way
around the bearing until all 360 degrees have
grease coming out the top.
Grease up the bearing race and put the bearing in
place. Grease is good!
The felt was
cleaned and then soaked in oil...........really
soaked and then tapped..... or hammered into